Wabi Sabi Pottery
Time & Location
About the Event
Come and see what authentic beauty a touch of imperfection can bring!
Purchase Tickets Here: Wabi Sabi Pottery Tickets
You may have heard of the aesthetic principle in Japanese culture called Wabi sabi. Deeply rooted in Japanese culture and art, Wabi sabi means the acceptance of transience and and finding beauty in imperfection. In the case of tea bowls, irregularities and imperfections are prized: they are often featured prominently as the "front" of the bowl. In this workshop, Ping Wei will teach you the way to use a traditional, hand shaping method to make your own tea bowls and develop a stronger appreciation for Wabi sabi art.
Your instructor will demonstrate the process of making pinched bowls first. After the lecture, he will guide participants as you use the techniques yourselves to make your own tea cup and tea bowl. All materials needed for the items are included. After the workshop, Ping Wei will have your pieces fired and ready for you to pick up in three weeks at the Garden.
General $65 / Member $60 (per class)
Includes all materials and general admission for the day
Saturday, November 6
Check-in time at Gift Shop: 8:45 am
The workshop will begin at: 9:00 am (end 11:00 am)
Your prompt arrival will ensure a more pleasurable experience not only for yourself but for the other participants as well.
●Stay home if you are sick or running fever
●10 Maximum per class
● Protect yourself while visiting the garden.
● Stay at least 6 feet away from others in the class
● Do not touch your eyes, nose, or mouth
● Wash your hands with soap and water or use alcohol-based sanitizer after using the restrooms.
● Facial cover recommended
● Attendance at and use of the Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix and its facilities is at the sole risk of the attendee/participant and the Japanese Friendship Garden of Phoenix shall not be responsible for any injury, sickness or harm experienced by an attendee/participant from or related to such use, and by its use, the attendee/participant assumes such risk.
Cancellation & Refund Policies
All classes that do not meet the minimum enrollment one week prior to the start date may be subject to cancellation at the Garden's discretion. The Garden will contact registered participants in classes affected by cancellations and offer refunds or placement in an alternate class. Workshop/class participants who withdraw from at least ten business days prior to the scheduled workshop/class start date may receive a full refund on their registration. (A “business day” is defined as M-F.)
Refunds will not be given to workshop/class participants who withdraw from a class after the first class has been held.
Workshop/class participants who do not show up to the workshop/program without notification before the scheduled workshop/program must forfeit their payment and reservation